Waving goodbye to my 40s with a primrose yellow opera glove.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Back In The Saddle

For the longest time I couldn't post because I was busy selling all our possessions, preparing to leave America and return to the U.K. Then I couldn't post because I arrived, was jet-lagged, homeless and unsure which way to look when crossing the road. Then came the period of denial that I had moved at all.
In the midst of all this I lived out of a suitcase of warm clothes during an English early summer heat-wave, bought a wardrobe after a decade enjoying built-in closets, and wondered if I would ever wear my cowboy boots again.
After the extreme heat of Texas I am now obsessed with keeping out of draughts and learning how to walk everywhere in shoes again.

On arriving in Hamville four months ago, two things made the biggest sartorial impression on me: black leggings and burhkas. These seemed to be everywhere I looked and appeared equally ridiculous. The shock has worn off now, I just avert my eyes.
A year ago in America there was a revival of purple (very Michele Obama) and now it's here. Purses seem to be getting smaller at last but the clanky embellishments that used to weigh them down seem to have been soldered on to boots.
Now it's my first English winter in ten years and when I'm not being doused with freezing windy water what I can see seems drab and drear. I saw a woman the other day wearing an orange sari underneath a violet woolen coat and almost followed her just to catch some of the warmth she cast about. Like Slaminsky* said recently, glam might be the only thing to get me through to Spring or the next election.


*I would link but the post disappeared!

8 comments:

  1. A blog about clothes! What a good idea. You will probably find that I am too excited to post often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicus - Bryan says it so much better than me but hey: "(Everything I do) I do it for you".

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't get black leggings around here but we do get burkhas. It still makes me pissed off and miserable. (The other day the Head said there had been complaints from parents about staff wearing thongs. !!! If you are offended, avert your eyes, I say! I find burkhas offensive but we have to put up with them.)

    Sorry, I was sidetracked. Despite what I said, nearly everything I own is grey. Used to wear more colours in sunny Spain, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here you are! Excellent.

    I like purple - wintry but bright and cheerful at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie - Oh yes. I could've written "and leggings don't make me want to weep.."
    I like the many shades of grey, especially with mustard yellow for some reason.

    Sarah - I look out for aubergine shades but don't see them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH! OH! OH! OH! OH! OH!
    Here you are and you a. Have the same opinion of Macy's as I do (crap service, crap shoes, nothing for you, or anyone human, there) and you b. love the same kinds of vintage clothes that I do!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have missed you SO MUCH chickie. Now find me a pair of boots that fit over these fat calves of mine and I'll be over the moon! (flats, vaguely bondage-y)

    We have not so many burkhas here, but a plethora of hindi sarouelles, embroidered tunics and huge lush pashminas due to the influx of Sikhs. Most of the orthodox muslim ladies make it a day with a full head scarf pulled over the nose. Worn with low rise jeans and a long waisted, long-sleeved t-top with a sugar skull printed on the front and 'fuck me'
    shoes. Now you miss America, don't you!

    XXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. FN - I have an idea about the boots and will get back to you.
    I've long been dazzled by Sikh dress. Lived for years adjacent to the sari textile capitol of the land in Sparkhill: the colors, pleating, glitter! And the men - well often a plain man is improved by a beard but I've yet to see a man with a beard and a turban who doesn't look splendid.
    And yes, I miss America to the extent I might need counseling. Some days are better than others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FN - Boots. First stop Zappos because shipping is free. I did a search on 17+ circumference and found these:

    Annie Rancho http://www.zappos.com/product/7674773/color/7294

    RSVP Raffle http://www.zappos.com/rsvp-raffle-wide-calf-black-black-stretch

    RSVP Ransom http://www.zappos.com/rsvp-ransom-wide-calf-black-black-suede

    Annie Roam http://www.zappos.com/product/7674772/color/3

    As I'm sure you're finding, the wider the calf the lousier the selection. Huge raspberry to boot makers everywhere.

    If you can spend more there's a company called Duo who do made to measure boots, UK based with $20 shipping to the USA. Not so varied a collection but check out the Malmo, Vine and Moreno styles. There are some over-the knee slinkers too. If you change the shipping option at the top of the site, prices are shown in dollars:
    http://www.duoboots.com/

    ReplyDelete