Waving goodbye to my 40s with a primrose yellow opera glove.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

And They're Off.........

It's been going on for years and it's about to start again: my annual search for a pair of white trousers (pants) that are not transparent.
Sounds so simple, but I have tried chinos, denims, linen mixes; fully lined and semi-lined and not at all lined. And every single pair has revealed that which I choose to leave unseen: my knickers.
I've tried endless brands and endless stores including Nordstrom, Dillards, Macys, J. Crew, J.Jill, Talbots, Gap. I thought the, cough, 'older lady' retailers would have this dignity issue sorted, but no.

First the pants have to pass the held-up-to-the-light test.
On the couple of occasions when the pink of my skin or the hue of skin-toned knickers has not shown through, I've been flummoxed by the other problem: visible front pockets - two contrasting half-moons spoiling what should be a smooth white surface. I once read a tip that suggested cutting out front pockets to avoid the messy look, but it's a tricky and expensive alteration.

So, any suggestions?
I know about wearing 'nude'-coloured undies; I can't do haute couture; I'm looking for the wide-leg Kate Hepburn style or the classic straight leg jean. Pubic-exposing skinny is not for me.

So if you try on a pair of whites that fit the bill, be a doll and let me know, will you? The person who helps me finally shut up about this will be rewarded with my eternal gratitude (and that of my husband), a huge shout-out and something delectable in the mail that goes with white pants - I was thinking chocolate....a set of indelible ink pens....that sort of thing.

4 comments:

  1. I would guess the problem is the type of fabric you're choosing. How about heavy 100% linen, or a slub silk, or maybe a summer weight wool? It might be worth having some made if you can source the right fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GSE - It's interesting that some of the 'high-end' heavy linens have been as bad as the cheaper ones. But I might have a clue regarding white denim - after a pair of Ralph Lauren wide leg jeans proved to be perrrrfect - no sight of pocket interiors and a complete cover - but my size, the average size, was not to be found. And of course no-one orders anything anymore and I don't play online parcel tag......So I'm going to check out the Ralphie shop next time I'm at the outlet mall.
    Yay, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried the white Not Your Daughters Jeans? I love these. I also do wear nude underwear with white or light colored trousers just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deja Pseu - Welcome and thank you for the tip.
    I have tried NYD regular jeans at Nordstrom (I think you put me on to them, in fact) and while the fit wasn't right for me then, well that was then and who knows what wonderful white creations they might be offering now? I'll take a look.
    Jackie O didn't have to work this hard!

    ReplyDelete