Waving goodbye to my 40s with a primrose yellow opera glove.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"Top Knot Optional"

I don't visit Hel Looks much anymore. It's a fashion blog from Helsinki, supposed to capture imaginative looks in clubs and streets but it's all a bit po-faced for me. That and the fact that no-one over the age of 25 seems to be allowed out.
Rarely is there elegance or intentional humour; that could be because I'm over the age of 25, or it could be the effect upon Helsinkians of all that snow. For a while there was a terrifying spate of men and women using tights as trousers, and I think that finished me off.

'Rip It To Shreds' is made of sterner stuff than me and two of her recent posts featuring pictures from Finnish site set me thinking. Take a look at it here.
Did you scroll down and notice the hair?


The Tove Jansson influence. I've been impressed since childhood by Moomin Mama's handbags but didn't really think of Little My and her up-do (there she is, above) as a style influence. A look that doffs a cap to the humour and poise of the art of Tove Jansson could be a good thing.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with this one Arabella.
    The 'Rip it to shreds' link suggests rolling up a pair of baggy pleated pants!
    Great for a shorty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaz - I appreciate how the top knot can be a free face-lift but it looks best on Little My, I think.
    Fear not, Rip It was having a larf at the expense of the rolled trouser and victims of. Her venom on the topic of the insanity of the 'It' bag is worth a read too - as you're idling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my friend, this hair is de rigeur in Hoxton these days. Along with waxed moustaches, monocles, spats, deerstalkers, trilbys,flat caps & other items straight out of the dressing up box...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie - Now, I need to know this kind of stuff. I figured Hoxton was still annoying but had no idea to what extent.Will there ever be another stylish clothes movement from the English working class - something to put these hipsters in their place? I'm thinking of the Crombie.....

    ReplyDelete